EcoSmart – What is a Home Energy Audit
A home energy audit is one of the first steps to understanding your home’s energy usage, as well its overall health and performance. Using a combination of high tech tests and common-sense evaluations, an energy efficiency audit provides a list of energy and money saving steps, explains how and why your house is costing you money, then prioritizes steps to take to reduce those costs over time.
EcoSmart – Our Energy Assessment
Our Home Energy Solutions assessment begins with a thorough, comprehensive home energy audit by a certified BPI Building Analyst, to determine the most cost effective energy improvements for your home, and ones that will not only save energy, but save money, make your home more comfortable, improve air quality and maximize building durability and safety.
Our home energy audit, home energy assessment, and efficiency upgrade assessment is comprised of several steps:
1. A thorough visual inspection of the home’s building envelope. We check for any safety issues like gas leaks, asbestos, or anything else that may have to be addressed so we do no harm to you, your family, or your home.
2. An insulation check, sometimes involving infrared thermography, which pinpoints spots where insulation may have settled, been improperly installed, or where it may be missing altogether.
3. An air leakage test using a blower door, to measure the cumulative effect of all the air leaks in the home. After we find all of the leaks, we actually seal those leaks. We use program approved products and techniques to assure that the efficiency upgrades to your home are permanent. This is all done WITHOUT ANY ADDITIONAL CHARGE. YOU PAY THE CO-PAY AND THAT’S ALL!!! Read more about the offer.
4. We will change up to 25 light bulbs in your home from incandescent light bulbs to LED’s. (25 bulbs and includes 8 specialty bulbs)
5. An evaluation of all combustion appliances to ensure that they are functioning properly, efficiently, and safely.
6. HVAC and Duct Testing to determine if it is operating with enough air flow. We will tape off all the registers and then pressurize the ductwork to find all the leaks in your system. Many ducts can leak as much as 30%-40% of the air to places outside the living area. It’s just like throwing out $30-$40 of every $100 spent out the window. We will suggest measures to limit that so you can save money.
7. We will change your shower heads and faucet aerators if they are inefficient. This is meant to save you money on hot water as well as water usage in general.
8. We will compile all your gas, electric, oil, wood, wood pellet, coal, etc. usage data as well as all the information we have gathered about your home during our audit process. We will include information on what improvements we made to save you money and finally, we produce a custom report (your home energy assessment) showing you the estimated savings as well as the top recommendations to save even more. These recommendations are based on your energy usage, the audit report, and on calculated ROI (Return on Investment).
Get over $1000 in services for just $149
Full Energy Audit
Energy Efficient Light Bulbs
The most important part of our residential energy audit is the ‘Kitchen table wrap-up”. We will review your home audit results, the good and the bad. We share with you the available rebates and financing you might qualify for, from both our state programs as well as federal tax credits for upgrading certain energy efficient items. We make unbiased recommendations based on how long it will take for those upgrades to pay for themselves. Our comprehensive energy testing, combined with our years of construction experience, make us uniquely qualified to assist you from audit to upgrade.
We will send you an email with the report generated at the time of the audit plus additional recommendations and the next steps you can take to save on your energy consumption. You will also receive an email with the Home Energy Score for your home.
Bear in mind that what turns up during your energy audit might surprise you: homeowners are often shocked to discover that all the little air leaks throughout their house add up to the equivalent of a window (or two, or more) being left open year round!
Choose the Home Energy Solution that’s right for you.
A low cost, whole-home energy checkup including on-the-spot energy upgrades and additional energy efficiency recommendations.
A free service for income-eligible residents. In addition to the HES basic services, eligible households may qualify for additional energy improvements.